Children’s & Author’s Writing Resources
KidPub is a membership group for kids who love to write.
Young Writers Online forum.
Authors, Illustrators, and Performers (CANSCAIP). You can learn the basics by reading what you find on the following links:
• From Keyboard to Printed Page (basics on formatting your writing and sending it out–SCBWI)
• The Institute of Children’s Literature publishes a useful newsletter ($20 a year) for children’s book writers, but also provides many useful articles and transcripts free onlne, at Rx for Writers (a topical index for articles and transcripts on writing for children)
• The Purple Crayon. Harold Underdown’s site about the business of writing, editing, illustrating, and publishing children’s books, with articles about many topics, including The Acquisition Process, children’s book genres, and Getting Started. On Underdown’s very helpful site, you’ll find this sample acquisition proposal, a section from Harold
Underdown’s article on The Acquisition Process.
• Acquisitions: Peeling Back the Curtain (Jill Corcoran, helpful links)
• Types of Publishers (and what to expect of them — SCBWI
• Writing Tips from the Highlights Foundation Writers Workshop at Chautauqua (much material, from several years)
• Children’s Book Insider (a $ newsletter) and Children’s Book Clubhouse. Video tips from same source: 7 Things Editors at Children’s Book Publishers Wish Writers Knew;
• Verla Kay’s website
(for children’s writers and illustrators)
• SmartWriters website for children’s writers
• Children’s & YA Lit Resources (Cynthia Leitich Smith’s site)
American Association of School Librarians
The American Association of School Librarians is interested in the general improvement and extension of library media services for children and young people. Site provides information and links.
American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
The mission of the American Association of School Librarians is to advocate excellence, facilitate change, and develop leaders in the school library media field.
Association of Booksellers for Children
The Association of Booksellers for Children is a national membership association which offers a support network for professional children’s booksellers who share the goal of encouraging quality and service within the children’s book industry.
Canadian Society of Children�s Authors, Illustrators and Performers (CANSCAIP)
This canadian organization provides news, resources, and support for Canadian children’s authors and illustrators.
Children’s Book Council (CBC)
The CBC provides an excellent site for children’s writers. Its special author section contains information for beginning writers, listings of children’s book publishers, interviews, a list of 75 children’s authors and other pertinent information.
Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA)
The CBCA aims to foster children’s enjoyment of books. They provide awards, information for authors and illustrators and support children’s library services.
International Reading Association
Organization that seeks to increase literacy by improving the quality of reading instruction. IRA provides conferences, publications and events.
Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI)
An organization dedicated to serving the people who write, illustrate, or share a vital interest in children�s literature. Website contains articles, links to member sites and information on awards and events.